MetroShed Promotes "Green Living"
MetroShed is proud to be 'eco-friendly' and a leader of building 'green' prefabricated structures promoting a 'green' lifestyle.
Los Angeles, CA (PRWEB) January 31, 2007
MetroShed is proud to be a leader in pre-fab, and continuing to be a leader in 'green' building'- building for the future. What is 'green building'? Green building, sometimes called 'sustainable building' or 'environmental building', is building more efficiently for the benefit of the environment, individual and community through better design, construction, operation, maintenance and waste removal.
If you're using the MetroShed as a workspace or home office here's how you can help continue to be 'green' and lay the foundation for a greener office and environment:
1) Work from home…to reduce transport pollution you can hold conference calls, attend video meetings and take online courses. We like to refer to this as the 30-second commute - from the main residence to the MetroShed in the garden!
2) Use energy-saving computer settings, and make sure you turn them off (standby continues to draw power from the grid).
3) Turn off lights when the space is not being used. The standard MetroShed design features large sliding glass doors to let natural light in throughout the working day.
4) If you have a desk lamp, invest in the LED desk lamps that use a small amount of electric versus standard light bulbs.
5) Do as much as you can via e-mail and phone to reduce paper usage, look at documents on your computer and edit documents at the computer, rather than printing out.
6) If you have to use paper, try to use both sides and make sure it's recycled.
7) Make sure the bathroom is stocked with toilet tissue made from recycled paper.
8) You are what you wear…to be really green, buy clothes made with recycled fibers.
9) Buying in bulk helps save not only time but also transport costs and pollution.
10) Good air is vital. Use low-VOC paints (volatile organic compounds have been linked to birth defects and cancer) for the interior of the MetroShed and greener furniture and carpeting are now readily available from some of the biggest manufacturers like Herman Miller.
11) Work out your lunch in advance. Try to take your lunch with you to work and use reusable utensils.
12) Bank and pay bills online. It's become an easy way to avoid paper usage, save money on postage and be efficient.
13) If you have any appliances in your MetroShed workspace, turn off non-essential consumer electronics when not in use and make sure appliances carry an Energy Star rating.
The buildings in which we live, work, and play have a great affect on our health and lifestyle. To lead a 'green' lifestyle, you can start by improving the quality of your life living, working, and playing in 'green' buildings such as the MetroShed. Everything that we do impacts the Earth and the environment and by taking 'green' steps, we are helping to improve the quality of life for all.